The Lake District is a fantastic place. I absolutely love it especially when it's not raining. If you want to see our photos they are here
Anyway I am going to do this like an award ceremony.
1. Most appropriate family name. This house
was on Peggy's Hill!
2.Best Lord of The Rings name. The Jaws of Borrowdale! We climbed Castle Crag which is one of the teeth
3. Champion urinator. Helen. Seriously, it's like a super power. Any fern and she's in and out quicker than a Jack Russel cocking his leg.
4. Most like a Mountain Goat. Mike (closely followed by Erin). He was always sure footed and in the lead sometimes running up mountains and advocating running down them too.
5. Most ubiquitous intellectual. Wordworth - the poet who stayed in, built or wrote about almost every building and landscape in Cumbria.
6. Tufty award for road safety. Trev for managing not to squash the red squirrel that ran in front of the car.
7. Award for managing a challenging walk while having a streaming (literally) cold.
8. Billy Bunter award for secret stash. Trevor. On these walks we shared the carrying of the picnic (except Helen who was eating astronaut food as part of her diet and was admirable in her adherence to it when all around her were scoffing cream teas). However, we noticed at the top of Skiddaw, our mountain and most hard work walk, that Trev had a Snickers bar and a packet of crisps he was keeping to himself.
9. Biggest challenge to Cumbrian Plumbing. Kieran. We thought it was only Greek plumbing that couldn't handle him.
10. Bravery in the face of freezing water and very stony ground. Erin, Mike, Boo and Kieran for swimming in Derwent water.
11. Best tea. V. hard competition, but probably the tea shop in Hawkshead. Lovely cake. Helen paid even though she was strictly adhering to her diet.
12. Worst tea. Grassmere. We went into the teashop at 4.40 when they closed at 5.00. They cleared up noisily around us and made us feel really rushed and we had just climbed a mountain we deserved that tea and cake.
13. Worst dressed for climbing a mountain. Erin. The weather was quite nice at sea level but a cloud engulfed the summit and there was a howling gale. We were all badly dressed but Erin had shorts on.
Anyway, I had better stop now. Brilliant holiday.