Monday, September 28, 2009

Hair Despair (Oh yes, you know from the title it'll be great!)

I have known for a long time now that I am not gifted in the ways of vanity. By this, I mean that there have been certain things in terms of make-up and preening ones hair that have totally passsed me by. It took me absolutely ages to master simple make-up, after some horrible clown-like experiements. And now it would seem I have a new lack of skill to add to my incompetencies.

Today, before settling down to apply for some library jobs, I went to Boots (chemists) with a gift token given to me recently for my birthday. With it I purchased a curling iron/brush/thing. Fairly dull, you may be thinking, but I was curious to see whether I might be able to achieve curly hair (I can almost see Frances's look of distain at me now! :oD)

So when I got home I decided to try to curl my hair. It was baffling. I was feeling quite positive about the whole thing when reading the instructions, which made it sound very easy indeed. I then proceeded to get the curling iron stuck in my hair, over and over again, and pulling it out of my hair in a somewhat panic-stricken fashion. Not only is it fiddly to try to curl the back of one's hair, but it also gets extremely hot! I looked like a haystack with glasses on. My hair was sticking out in all directions: not the pre-raphaelite look I was really going for!

Surely this is not the usual experience of curling one's hair. If it is I'm sure hairdressers would have been sued by now!

Anyway, I did apply for a job today in spite of the trauma...

I really do need a job!

More anon.

3 comments:

oreneta said...

Probably is the usual experience for the first time someone curls their hair.

Will you try it again????

Good luck with the job. Fingers crossed.

Boo and Trev said...

Don't worry, you can get library jobs without curly hair.

Helen said...

Good hair is not a prerequisite for library jobs. At the meeting I went to this afternoon I don't think anyone of the 20 people there had good hair. But curling is hard - actually hairdressing is hard. Ask Boo or Kate about Kate's early haircuts before I gave up when she wa s 2